Saturday, November 16, 2013

Journal 6: Self Reflection

When I first started this class I wasn't sure what to expect.  I was always afraid of learning HTML as technically it is another language and I haven't had the best time learning new languages.  Plus, all the symbols are a bit overwhelming and pretty daunting.  However, HTML and CSS are actually very logical and reminds me of writing formulas for excel.  There are very definite rules to follow and concepts to master.  Once you learn the rhythm, it is much easier to follow along.

As I write more HTML and CSS code I start to see patterns and memorize certain parts.  Some of the book reading is still abstract as I haven't had a chance to try out all the different parts to HTML or CSS.  With that being said I really think the hardest and most rewarding assignment I completed was my first web page, http://www.csupomona.edu/~jlhardyman/ged512/labs/first%20copy.html.  We started small, but it was very rewarding to see the "nonsensical" language (at the time) was actually something I could view on the Internet, that I wrote.  Then I started to worry about the aesthetic, because someone else besides me could be looking at this page as well.  I only had to wait a week or so to change that though.

I know I have A LOT to learn, but feel much more comfortable in HTML and CSS code and using Dreamweaver as well.  I'm proud of what I am doing and learning.  I keep trying to find ways to show off my newly acquired skills even if it is only to my husband or kids.  One of my co-workers has already asked me to help him with his website.  Which, however, is a task I'm not sure about taking on just yet as his request is a bit beyond my knowledge and comfort level.  Hopefully as I learn more in this class and tinker with my own HTML and CSS code writing I will feel confident in taking on his task.


No comments:

Post a Comment