Sunday, October 13, 2013

Journal 2 - Join an Affinity Group and Share your Digg Stream


The Affinity Group I chose is Brainify.com.  It seems like the most logical group for me to join, as I work in a university setting and I am also a student.  Learning from others' experiences and research seems like a good place to start.  edupln.ning.com.  I had to change as I sent a request to join, but never received a response back.  Honestly, I chose this group because there really aren't many to choose from.  Most of the links to the other groups do not work anymore.

In regards to the Digg Stream, I originally thought it was similar to Twitter.  However, it really isn't.  Instead of someone, a company or a news feed blasting tweets at me all day long, I get to pick and choose what I want to read about. Although I can pick and choose which tweets require further analysis and reading, I have to scroll through it all.  It really is a time consuming process.  With Digg, the feeds or website I follow are very clean and easily accessible.  

Q:  Is the internet our “digital” rabbit hole?
A:  Clearly, the answer is yes.  Through surfing the web, I become so entrenched in whatever I am reading or learning about that I don't realize how much time I’ve spent on it.  Which leads me to my second question . . .

Q:  How much is too much?
A:  I don't think that there could ever be too much.  I think having access to all this information is fascinating, scary and overwhelming at the same time.  I am a life long learner and that is partly due to the fact that I can choose what else I want to learn about just by opening up Google. Digg, Twitter, etc. and finding what is out there.  With that being said, I can easily see how all this access can become addictive.  Yet, I still think the more the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment