Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Journal 3: The Case for Social Media in School


Kessler, S. (2010, September 29). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://mashable.com/2010/09/29/social-media-in-school/


This article suggests that the use of social media can be a good thing for our youth.  It allows them the opportunity to express themselves, in a safe way, and keep them responsibly occupied.  The teacher that implemented the social media site saw increases in class participation, grades and a decrease in absenteeism.  Although she couldn't absolutely guarantee that the site was only contributing factor, they inferred that the outcome was good, nonetheless.  The fact that she was able to assign non-credit/non-graded assignments that the students completed, was interesting.  "Through polls taken before and after the program, Meinhardt determined that students spent between four to five fewer hours per week on Facebook and MySpace when the extra assignments had been implemented."  The use of text to keep the students accountable was also interesting.

The article argues that, "social media, like the Internet, will be a part of our world for a long time. It’s better to teach it than to fight it."  They found ways to embrace it's use.  The use of the social media in school, in a supervised environment, allows the student to express themselves and "if you know the answers or have good insights or ask good questions, you’re going to be really valuable online.” 

I wonder if when I was in elementary or high school today, how I would feel about the use of social media?  I recall being asked the answer to the questions for homework or a test by my "friends".  I don't recall giving anyone the answers, because I always felt that I spent time doing my homework, so why should my fellow students skate by using me?  However, in this setting, I think I would feel empowered to give my opinion or my reflection on a topic.  I think in the blog setting, participation is key, regardless of whether my answer is "right or wrong."

Which leads me to the question of how I would feel about my children using social media in a classroom setting.  I have a four and six year old.  They already ask me to use the computer to play games (online, although I'm not sure that they know what that means).  I know they use computers in class for various activities.  I think that if it were in this controlled environment, with my permission AND the ability for me to see the posts (or at least excerpts of quotes), I would feel more comfortable.  I think this would give me the an opportunity to engage in conversation with my children about the topics presented.

1 comment:

  1. I think you bring up a good point with your first question. I also think that allowing students to post online can be a really good tool for getting students to say something they may have been too embarrassed or shy to bring up in person during class. The barrier of the computer screen gives the user a sense of security. I think students would rather express an idea that might be seen as "wrong" online, than face-to-face in front of their peers.

    ReplyDelete